Neal A. Maxwell

"Within the swirling global events- events from which we are not totally immune- is humanity's real and continuting struggle: whether or not, amid the cares of the world, we really choose, in the words of the Lord, to "care for the life of the soul." Whatever our anxious involvements with outward events, this inner struggle proceeds in both tranquil and turbulent times. Whether understood or recognized, this is the unchanging moral agendum from generation to generation."


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sour Milk, an answer to prayer

Work was painfully slow (for my department) for months and now the storm has hit and I am crazy-lady with a very messy desk again.  I love feeling engaged in a cause again but it is scary how quickly "busy-ness" makes time pass.  My head is spinning that it is May already!

My birthday was WONDERFUL!  From the time I woke up to the time I went to bed, I was showered with sweet messages and surprises and thoughtful gifts.  It felt like the birthdays I used to have as a kid and I didn't expect any of it.  I have some awesome friends.

A word about my training:  Many of you may remember my complaints of horrible stomach issues during training for St. George.  They came back with full fury this time around too... even more painful.  I've had to take medication and change my training schedule a lot (less running, more cross training) to even make it through.  BUT I THINK I'VE FOUND THE PROBLEM!  My milk went bad a week and a half ago and I was so busy (with work) that I never picked up more.  My family and friends know I drink a lot of milk.  I can go through more than a gallon per week.  Anyhow, I noticed that I wasn't having any stomach issues that week... but I never connected the dots.  Saturday I did 20 miles without medication (feeling brave since I had such a good week without it) and not even the shadow of a problem.  It wasn't until Saturday night that a light clicked and I realized the only factor that has changed in my diet is no milk!  So, my friends, I am pretty sure I am lactose intolerant!  Crazy it took me 2 years to figure that out.  Of course I'm sad that I have to give up my favorite beverage but I'm incredibly happy with the prospect of never having stomach cramps during a run again.  I chuckle to myself how hard this has been on me.  I prayed before every run that I would be allowed to run strong and finish without stomach pain.  (I've even had some tearful conversations in-route begging to find a solution to this problem.)  Now, I find myself praying with gratitude while I run that I feel normal again!  It's a feeling I hardly recognize. :)

And some exciting news?  I'm going to Camp Jitterbug in Seattle at the end of the month!!!  I've wanted to go to this dance camp since my BYU days and now it's finally happening!  This is a big deal, folks.  I'm catching a ride up with some U of U students and tearing it up for the weekend.  My first dance camp was in Phoenix in 2004.  You literally dance the entire weekend.  A dance will end at 12:30am and another dance will start at a different location an hour later giving everyone time to shower and change into fresh clothes.  We would roll in at 6:30 in the morning and sleep for a few hours and get up and do it again.  SO FUN!

This is a clip from a previous Camp Jitterbug.  These dancers blow my mind.  (I'm sooooooo excited!)

No comments: