Neal A. Maxwell

"Within the swirling global events- events from which we are not totally immune- is humanity's real and continuting struggle: whether or not, amid the cares of the world, we really choose, in the words of the Lord, to "care for the life of the soul." Whatever our anxious involvements with outward events, this inner struggle proceeds in both tranquil and turbulent times. Whether understood or recognized, this is the unchanging moral agendum from generation to generation."


Friday, April 13, 2012

Puppy Pictures & Moms

It's Friday! I'm a week away from 29 and five weeks away from Ogden. I can't slow this bus down!

I updated my Facebook status yesterday with something about how I think this whole mom-work controversy is ridiculous ON BOTH SIDES. I knew my mom would comment and "rebuke" me. She did not disappoint! Even so, I'll say it again. Hilary Rosen's comment was dumb. But still, it was so benign. And everyone is up in arms? I got several emails from conservative websites I subscribe to titled "The Left is Attacking Moms!" and the likes. I kind of just rolled my eyes. And then that the Left is in full damage control. I can hardly believe this comment is generating so much attention.

Dear Hilary,
Next time you comment on Ann Romney's work history, try this: "Ann Romney has been a stay-at-home mom her whole life and has not been in the work force. I question whether she is a valuable source for economic commentary and the needs of women who are in the work force." Maybe add something at the end like, "But she sure did have her work cut out for her raising five sons!"

Dear everyone else,
We all know being a mom is crazy hard work. Is that really an arguing point? Not really. The sun is bright. Water is wet. And being a mom is hard work.

Okay, tell me (as my mom did) how offensive Rosen's words actually are but I promise, I'm still not offended. All her comments ellicited from me was a roll of the eyes.

I'm posting one of my favorite YouTube videos. If you don't laugh at this, I don't know what would make you laugh.

No comments: