Neal A. Maxwell

"Within the swirling global events- events from which we are not totally immune- is humanity's real and continuting struggle: whether or not, amid the cares of the world, we really choose, in the words of the Lord, to "care for the life of the soul." Whatever our anxious involvements with outward events, this inner struggle proceeds in both tranquil and turbulent times. Whether understood or recognized, this is the unchanging moral agendum from generation to generation."


Friday, May 4, 2012

I'm so confused about China

I was very fortunate to take a few classes on the history of China and eastern religions while at BYU. Our professor kept stressing, "you now know more about China's history than 99% of Chinese know about their history."  He pointed out that the historiographies and memoirs we read were out-lawed in China.  That is how dark it is to live in China.

While at BYU, I heard that the Dalai Lama had requested to speak at one of the Tuesday devotionals but that BYU turned him away.  The reasoning was along the lines of the LDS church wanting to maintain good relations with China and allowing the Dalai Lama an audience would evidence the LDS church's sympathy for recognizing the state of Tibet.

A large part of my job requires me to maintain communication between factories in China.  I have become close to a couple of the women who work there and it really does put a different spin on how you see China when it's your friend- a person with a face, a name, a personaltiy, and interest in you- living that reality.

Against this backdrop of information and experience, I've been tuning into the story of pro-life, Chinese dissident, Chen Guangcheng.  I empathize with him and his family.  I hardly recognize all the blessings that are mine as a citizen of a free nation.  The conservative community has responded to the U.S. governments response to turning Chen away and/or not defending and helping him with disgust.  Yes, it is physically sickening to consider allowing someone to be tortured.  But I'm a little confused...  confused by the measuring stick we use for deciding when to get involved and when to step back for the purposes of "preserving diplomatic relations."  What is our policy regarding China?  Do we have a different toleration for crimes against human rights in different countries?  Can we not all name ten different countries off the top of our heads where human rights have been cast by the way and people are being tortured as we sit her?  So, why Chen?  I don't disagree.  I just don't understand.  In my understanding, circumstanes like Chen's are occurring all the time.  This feels somewhat like I need a good DTR with China. 

1 comment:

The Pickled Red Herring said...

I think it comes down to fear. Like that bully at school you don't want to mess with so you just acquiesce to everything you can manage without inconveniencing yourself to far. When I was in India I got to see the Dalai Lama twice - once we attended an address he gave at one of the temples, and many of the people there were Tibetan refugees. Actually we were there in the first place working with orphaned children whose parents had fled across the Himalayas and often died in the process. It was unbelievable what a hold China has on the people and how behavior (etiquette toward the country) plays such an important role. That was a novel comment - I'll stop now!