Neal A. Maxwell

"Within the swirling global events- events from which we are not totally immune- is humanity's real and continuting struggle: whether or not, amid the cares of the world, we really choose, in the words of the Lord, to "care for the life of the soul." Whatever our anxious involvements with outward events, this inner struggle proceeds in both tranquil and turbulent times. Whether understood or recognized, this is the unchanging moral agendum from generation to generation."


Friday, January 27, 2012

Ready to Run



I'm on my brother's computer and found this little clip from St. George. It's of Jess and I pulling into the city center at the end of our first marathon. Don't we look energetic? I'm so excited to run Ogden! I can hardly allow myself to hope that it will meet up to what St. George was, though. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed that experience. Notice in the clip my sister-in-law, Whitney, holding a sign to encourage me along. You can hear Eric yelling like crazy in the background. He never let up and I love him so much for it. And then you can hear my mom whoop and holler and then (my favorite) tell me she loves me. I think she said 'I love you' at least five or six times in the span of 50 meters. So endearing and a perfect vignette of this mother-daughter relationship we have.

Every time I reflect back on that race, the support I received from my family kind of blows me away. To them it might have seemed so simple, but to me it meant so much. It was cool enough they were even there. But they weren't just passive observers; They were engaged supporters meeting me at every point they could to cheer me on. I hope in heaven I can relive that experience. Truly it is in the top ten of life experiences.

Coming up in May is the Ogden Marathon. I'll be running it with my very best friend, Michelle Kruzie German! Along with her, my partner in crime, Jessi Venable! Also Kiley Kruzie, Danielle Davis, Brittany London, and Anna Eschler! A whole caravan of friends are coming up from Austin and it will be epic. Not only am I running it with a group of stellar girls, I'm running it as a Huntsman Hometown Hero in honor of Sarah Hays Shurtz who passed away of cancer in November. I would be thrilled if each of you joined my efforts to raise $500 before race day by donating. Sarah was a runner herself with a 3:31:00 marathon PR. And at only 30-years-old when she died, I think she had even faster times in her.

If you would like to donate to this cause (even $10 would be appreciated) follow this link to my personal page: Personal Donations Page

Sarah Hays Shurtz Obituary: View Sarah Shurtz's Obituary by Salt Lake Tribune

No comments: